Updated: Nov 12, 2021
This month's meal is one of my favorite, easy, breakfasts! Not only is it nutritious and delicious, it can also be multi-functional! Typically, over here, we like to get our week set and prep a few meals on Sunday. So, if you are like us, prep your potatoes with the rest of your meals and it will cut your breakfast time down immensely!
Lets call this the Two Eggs Hash ( in honor of the monster mash... hah :) )
Ingredients you will need:
- Farm fresh eggs (or organic pasture raised, free range, or whatever you've got!)
- 2-3 large sweet potatoes (local or organic is best)
- Seasonings (salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne powder, everything seasoning, *cinnamon)
- Ripe avocado
- Baking fat (grass fed butter, ghee, coconut oil)
First: Prep the potatoes! I like to use sweet potatoes with their skins on, but pick your poison (purple potatoes, small red potatoes, mixed variety, whatever you prefer)!
2-3 large sweet potatoes, washed and cubed
3-4TBSP cooking fat- melted coconut oil, ghee, or grass fed butter. (*Less ideal but you could also use olive oil or avocado oil)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp crushed black pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper (cayenne) powder
** (for a sweet option- use coconut oil and 1/2 tsp cinnamon- OMIT garlic, onion, and cayenne)
- Pre- heat oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit
- Place all ingredients on a cooking sheet/pan (ideally not aluminum- but work with what you got!)
- Mix together until potatoes are fully coated
- Place in oven for 25 minutes (shaking the pan about halfway through)
- After 25 minutes- check your potatoes. If you can easily stick a fork through them, they are done! Otherwise place back in oven and cook in 5-7 minute increments until desired consistency is reached.
- Remove from oven and set aside
Once prepped, these could be used in your breakfast, lunch, or dinner meals throughout the week as a side, or a base, or even in a taco! If you are cooking for more than 1 person, just double or triple the quantity! Original recipe should last at least 3-4 servings for 1-2 people.
Back to breakfast....
Once your potatoes are prepped, place a scoop on your plate. If you are like me and you want your eggs runny over the potatoes, center them. If you don't like to mix and match, place them on the side :)
For your eggs- cook them how you like them! For this dish I prefer two over easy-medium. I like my yolks to be runny with my potatoes. You could also fry them, make them over hard, scrambled, etc. Another option is to beef them up and scramble them with some peppers, onions, mushrooms and spinach (or the veggies of your choice!). Make yourself a little omelet. WHATEVER YOU LIKE! This is your meal! Just use a good cooking fat in the bottom of your pan -ghee, grass fed butter, or coconut oil (if olive oil or avocado oil is all you've got, then use it. Just lower the heat.).
Once your eggs are cooked to your liking, place them on top of your potatoes (or to the side). If you're feeling fancy, sprinkle a little everything (but the bagel) seasoning on top!
Next, take your avocado (about 1/4-1/2 of a whole one per person) and slice it or dice it however you like it! You could even be fancy and turn it into a rose! Place it on top, or to the side, of your eggs/potatoes. Viola! Breakfast is ready!
If you like to spice things up, add a little hot sauce to the top. If you like it messy, mash it all together. However you like it, ENJOY it! Let me know your favorite way in the comments! Happy eating!